Scholarships are considered gift aid that does not have to be paid
back. They are usually based on a student's academic performance,
special talent and/or financial need. Texas Southern University
participates in several different scholarship programs.
Texas Southern University has a commitment to academic
excellence. Thus, the objective of our scholarship program is to
attract students who have demonstrated extraordinary scholarly
efforts in high school. Final awards will be based on proof of
graduation and test scores, per official transcript of the student's
complete academic record.
Guide to Scholarships
- Be prepared. Online scholarship searches may require
you to enter a lot of information. Be patient and allow time to
carefully complete the applications.
- Start early. Most scholarships are awarded six months
to one year prior to the start of the semester.
- Don't pay. Texas Southern University does not endorse
any scholarship search that charges a fee. You should never have
to pay for a scholarship search!
- Be persistent. Revisit these listed sites on a regular
basis. Many repost new scholarships frequently.
- State reasons for choosing Texas Southern University,
- Describe obstacles overcome to attend college,
- Give an expected graduation date, or
- An initial reaction to receiving the scholarship.
- Handwrite your note, unless your handwriting is poor.
- Address your donor formally, as Dr., Mr., Mrs., or Ms.
- Mention the scholarship by name in your introduction.
- Sign your name.
- Include your return address on the envelope.